Sunday, April 15, 2007

Two and a half years on and only now can it be told



I am a Nylondoner. There are apparently thousands of Brits in NY, at least it seems that way when I am walking around Manhattan. I can be standing on a street corner wishing that the Walk/Don't Walk signs still existed whilst trying to cross and all of a sudden that braying voice that is inextricably a Brit 'Poshie' or worse still, the flat Mockney tones of an Estuary import invade my daydream. Shit, Brits! Fuck! I moved here to partially get away from my fellow Geezers, Chavs and Henriettas and they are all around. There is also talk of naming a small part of Greenwich Village, Little Britain, which, is highly ironic since the biting Walliams-Lucas satire is hardly known over here.

I'm pretty sure that we are no longer exotic or surprising to your average New Yorker since no one ever seems to say, "Omigod! Are you from England?". Not that I care but it seems to me that twenty years ago when I first started to come over here on a regular basis that people were always surprised in fact mostly they were impressed or at worst, pleased to meet you. Now, NYC is so cosmopolitan that it is not very common to hear the traditional accents of the boroughs. Gone the nasal Queens, vanished the Brooklynese and absolutely no one seems to say Noo Joysey.

Homogenisation, that's right, were all mixed up.

No comments: